Thursday, February 09, 2006
I spent a fun time last night...
...locked in discussion with fundamentalist evangelical Christians. Lampeter's Evangelical Christian Union (not associated with the Uni, cos, well, they're nearly fascists). The term 'fundamentalist' is accurate, as they all (there was a panel of four) told us that they believed the Holy Bible was literally true, and that there are no discreponcies in it. at all.
To keep a long tale short, we (myself, and two RC's, one of them being John) trounced them, using logic, scripture and cunning rhetoric. One was an archeology student with long hair, who, dispite feeling that everything was entirely true, looked shocked when I quoted St. Paul's views on men with long hair.
This was part of the larger arguement as to why they hold the (rather reactionary and mysogonistic) writings of St Paul as of equal value to The Blessed Gospels. The Bible is not a literal document to be used as part of a legalistic morality (the sort of morality that Jesus opposed), but a guiding text that is the biography of the Word incarnate.
I came away from the event with a half-formednotion in my head, that I've since had time to work on a bit. Is it idolatry to hold the Bible up as infallable? To hold up The Bible as 'The Word of God', when Christ is the Logos made flesh. To make this book that provides fantastic insight into the life of Jesus and some elements of the Early Church, as almost another part of the Trinity is wrong. I'm not sure I'm being clear enough here, as the idea still needs some working on, but I think this could be important.
Technorati Tag: Anglican